Frequently Asked Questions
Sign up on WantedTech as a Donor
Click on “Give a Gadget”
Take a photograph of your Laptop or Tablet
Describe your gadget – Add Gadget Type, Brand, Model, Year and technical details.
Click on “Gadget Request”
Browse Applicants based on: “Academic Institution” “Use it for” “Geo location” or “Charity link”. Click on “Donate” and confirm who you have selected.
WantedTech right now is looking for quality working Laptops and Tablets – please no printers or phones
- Laptops/tablet should to be 2013 model (or later)
- Must access Internet using WIFI or LAN
- No technical problems (broken screen/missing keyboard)
- Cable and/or Charger is important
Reset to factory settings with new username “WantedTech” & set password to “Wasted1”
Your gadget should be cleared of all personal information.
Before clearing your gadget, you should first back it up.
Step 1 – Backup your laptop select your method:
- External Hard Drive (manual copy to HD)
- ICloud sync – for end-to-end Apple users (photos/docs/files)
- OneDrive sync & backup – for Windows users & MS Office backup (photos/docs/files)
- Google Cloud (all users docs, photos and other content)
- NB: Save Serial number(s) for Office Suite & any purchased software
Step 2 – Reset to Factory settings
- Make sure you are plugged into Power
- Search YouTube for Factory Reset
- For example: How to Factory Reset Mac OS Sierra (your OS & device)
- Watch YouTube for Reset guidance:
- Windows 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1IFjUectM
- Windows 8.1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Zaq6JG90A
- Apple Mac: OS Sierra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHrSwvO1B58
- Apple Mac: OS X Yosimte: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmzPnL_s_rw
- Windows XP (may not be viable) 1st upgraded to Windows 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cebl80WO9pc
Step 3 – Login to ensure transfer of laptop to correct WT recipient
- Setup the new laptop Login as WantedTech
We recommend the following partners:
T: (010) 007 0012 Johannesburg T: (021) 200 1460 Cape Town
T: (046) 622 4655
Prepare your gadget, print off the Recipient’s details: name, mobile number & detailed postal address. Select best delivery method – remember that many recipients do not have a formal address – rather select a collection option (contact via WhatsApp for ID number if you do collection option). Place gadget into a box with bubble wrap for the journey and send!
We recommend any the following delivery options:
PAXI – PEP store to PEP store – receiver collects at store with ID
PAXI operates in over 2000 PEP stores throughout South Africa. Recipient confirms via sms which PEP store is nearest for collection. Donor places gadget into a box and drops off at a PEP store near you. Don’t forget to confirm location of store and print off their full name and ID number for collection. SMS will confirm they received their laptop or tablet !!
Aramex (at PicknPay) – delivers to confirmed address (size limit)
DSV (at Engen) – delivers to confirmed address (box provided)
T: 0861 462 884
T: 0860 767 8638
T: 0860 345 000 or +27-11-921 3600
No – we would like you to choose the one gadget that you most need.
Once you have accepted a donated gadget, there will be a one year waiting period before you can request another gadget.
This is to ensure everyone who needs a gadget has a fair chance to receive one.
The recipient will accept via SMS or email.
Next you will need to clear your device and consider your delivery options.